Risks and rewards of outsourcing
If you have contracts with companies or service providers who are GDPR-compliant themselves, it may become an attractive idea to outsource GDPR compliance wholesale. After all, SMEs sometimes don't have a dedicated CIO or CTO or no one who has the expertise (or time) to be an expert in both legal and data protection matters.
It's a balancing act, though, and here's why: at any time, audits and official check-ups can require you to divulge how you process your data, how you label it, what you do with it, who does it and when, and so on. Going back to an external consultant each time can be exhausting and time consuming. As The Register warns, "GDPR is not a one-time, fire-and-forget project."The small e-commerce merchant's checklist for GDPR
To see the forest for the trees, ask yourself the following questions:
· Do I capture only the data that is relevant to my business?
· Do I process data that is not sensitive, private or belongs to people under 16?
· Do I tell my customers and visitors what I do with their data?
· Is my record keeping of customer and visitor data limited in time?
· Do I have an overview of what my business does with personal data?
· Can I quickly hand over data packages to auditors, or clients who want their data back?
· Are my business partners and programs I use GDPR-compliant?
The more you have answered 'yes' to these questions, the less you have to worry about. But even if you've answered 'no' or 'I don't know' once, you would do well to take a deeper dive into GDPR-related articles. The European Union's official site has a page dedicated to SMEs and GDPR, so that's a good starting point.Saving Ryan's privacy
If you have lingering questions about privacy in e-commerce, feel free to hit us up at email@example.com
or reach out to us on social media (Medium, LinkedIn or Facebook, it's all good). If you have questions on Sayl Retail's GDPR compliance and in case you have specific GDPR questions that relate to your business using our platform, we will answer you to the best of our abilities.